Wednesday, December 24, 2014

On the cusp of 2015

A moment in time to appreciate 2014 and refrain from the urge to look critically - and criticize - my bread efforts in the last year. Good to appreciate rather than always examining everything for the doughnut holes.

Successes in 2014
  • I mostly resisted the urge to get up before or at 5 a.m. to tend to any preferments or doughs.
  • I started experimenting with challahs and new grains. Okay, not much, but started.
  • I made a bunch of breads again and again, developing a repertoire of breads I feel comfortable making.
  • I broke down and purchased a dutch oven, which is already proving a nice addition.
  • My jar collection continues to grow. These are used for sourdough starters, the permanently maintained mother culture and the ones I grow for particular breads. I like to change jars even for the mother every few weeks.  
And for 2015?
Really, who knows? There are hopes for more grains, for buying more of that farmers market freshly-milled flour, and definitely for the elusive sourdough challah - as wonderful and reliable as the one I make in the bread machine. No nuts, fruits, or cake-like breads. If I want something sweet, I make a mean cookie and a crazy cake to blow anything out of the water. Now there's some confidence. Seriously, my chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies are not fancy, but mighty fine. My sour cream coffee cake (especially if made with blueberries or raspberries) is as fine as any taste in this world. My sweets repertoire is not broad.

Back to bread
At somewhere between halfway to two-thirds to 108 breads, I want to make a lot of breads in 2015. I want to learn the bread lessons I sought to learn in making 108 breads. That's the bread resolution.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment